Friday, December 23, 2011

2011 Wrap Up

I think I should integrate What I Read into my main blog. So that will happen eventually.

Currently reading:



The Breath of God by Jeffrey Small

I read an article by the author on the Religion page of the Huffington Post. I liked it. At the end he plugged his novel so I downloaded the sample and then the whole book (kindle version $8.99). So far the style is kind of copy-cat Dan Brown (The DaVinci Code) but it's good. I love a little historical context interwoven into a mystery novel. I'm only at 27% so full review to come...




That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back by Thomas L. Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum

This is an important book. It makes me want to get off my ass and do something.



The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Dostoyevsky books were $0 on Kindle so I downloaded this one. I am having some difficulty getting into it.


Now onto whatiread:



Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

I liked this story. I didn't know much about the Japanese internment during WWII and I still don't but this story sheds a little light on it through the eyes of a Chinese boy (and then old man, looking back) who falls in love with a Japanese girl. Thumbs up.



The Abbey by Chris Culver

This was a Kindle Single. I think that just means it's 99 cents. It was ok. It was a crime novel. Not super exciting.






Now You See Her by James Patterson

This was my first foray into James Patterson. I may have waited too long to do the review because I am getting mixed up between this story and the only Nicholas Sparks book I've read (Safe Haven). Same deal where a girl is hiding from her past (an abusive husband). Safe Haven had a good twist. Now You See Her was entertaining.



The Shack by William P. Young

This was on my bookshelf. It came over from the move out of my mom's house. This is a book she recommends. It's a tad churchy for my taste but I still enjoyed it on some level. It was interesting.
The premise is that after a man's daughter is kidnapped and murdered he receives an invitation to spend the weekend at the shack (where the assualt took place) with God.
Interesting fact, in the midst of reading The Shack, I walked into my room to find that my Precious Moments Bible (I was raised Catholic and this was a first communion gift from my Grandparents) was ajar on the bookshelf. It's just me and the pooch at home. It was chilling. Though I'm sure I dislodged it pulling out another book days before and didn't notice until then.
It's the kind of book that gets the wheels turning regardless of your personal beliefs.



The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

This is young adult lit targeted at the same audience as Twilight but it's not as good. It has a mystical element that keeps your attention...at least until revealed. It was entertaining enough but I don't recommend it. I'd rather re-read Twilight.


I think that catches us up to date.

Please, if you have read any really great books this year, recommend them in the comments section. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment